Thursday 31 May 2012

Rita Ora: how we do?

So I will just get this confession out of the way, sometimes I listen to commercial radio (*minus ten cool points, I know*). Currently, this Rita Ora song plays about one thousand times a day on the top forty stations. It was stuck in my head this evening so to exorcise it I watched the clip on youtube. What I witnessed was a barrage of duck face, it lead me to ask the question: Ora, duck face promoter or innocently large lips?
'How We Do' is one of those songs that I was immediately morally opposed to. With lyrics such as "I get that drunk sex feeling, yeah, when I'm with you" this is not something that I would choosingly expose myself to. (*Please remember, I had to watch it to expel it from my poor brain.*) Above is a selection of overt duck face. Too many times is Ora an advocate for this facial expression within a video clip that lasts just under four minutes. Even though a major sound throughout the track is "ooOOoo", there maybe something more sinister afoot.
At three pivotal points - the duck face seems to spread to those around her. Admittedly, upon close analysis of this video, the contagion spread to me... 
There is an actual man with an actual duck's face in her video. A fashionable point of whimsy? Or a satirical occurrence of self-awareness?
 
To conclude, this video makes me hate the song even more and hate myself a little bit too. My personal belief is that she has some sort of investment in the promotion of the duck face and is trying to cram as many facial contortions into the video as she can. I am still opposed to this song, but feel better after analysing its strange behaviour.
-Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment